New Professorship Established In Business, Labor and Govt.

The University recently announced the creation of a professorship that will link the fields of business, labor and government. It also announced the formation of a committee in Australia to nominate candidates for the five-year-old visiting professorship of Australian studies.

The new endowed chair will be named after Meyer Kestnbaum '18, a 1921 B-School graduate and former president of Hart, Schaffner and Marx, who was a member of the Board of Overseers from 1954 to 1960.

Active

John T. Dunlop, Lamont University Professor, who organized the 20-year effort to raise the $1 million necessary for the chair, yesterday said Kestnbaum was active in many areas of business and politics. He added that the holder of the position could teach at the Business School, the Kennedy School or the College.

President Bok, in a recent statement, called the new professorship "particularly welcome" and said it would "strengthen Harvard's capacity to contribute in the field of the interaction of business, labor and government, so vital to our times and the era ahead."

The purpose of the new Australian-based nominating committee is to help select the visiting professor of Australian Studies here. This chair, currently held by Alan F. Davies of the University of Melbourne, was established by a gift from the Australian government to Harvard in 1976.

Dean Rosovsky appointed the members of the committee--all Australian scholars--in addition to a dean's advisory committee on Australian Studies - composed of the chairmen of the Harvard departments of Social Science and History and Literature. Rosovsky will chair this committee. A third advisory committee was appointed by the Australian government in 1977.