Freshmen Get Housing Lottery Results

Screams Pierce Yard's Silence As Messengers Deliver Verdicts

Shouts and shrieks broke the normal pre-9 a.m. quiet of the Freshman Yard yesterday morning as weary members of the Class of '84 received their housing assignments for the next three years.

Although many anxious freshmen woke up in time to meet the 8 a.m. messenger, some decided their sleep was more important. But whenever they got the news, most freshmen seemed satisfied with their new addresses.

In Weld Hall, Janet E. Abbate '84 said she is "psyched" to be going to Adams House along with most of her friends. Over elated shouts in the background, she added that most of the people she knows got their first choice.

Although Jackie McKayle '84 was "quadded," she said she is not disappointed. "I wanted either Adams or a single," McKayle said, adding that at North House she will have her second wish.

Some students, however were less than delighted. Alan L. Jackson '84 of Pennypacker said he had been "laughing all day" after finding out that he will be living at Currier House next year. "It's really ironic, because it was the only house I didn't want to get into," he added.

Sesha Pratap '84, who was sent to Quincy, was typical of many freshmen who received their first choice. Pratap said he was "very glad," but declined to express more ebullience because so many of his friends did not share his good fortune. "A lot of my good friends are getting sent to the Quad," he said, noting that in Pennypacker, where he lives, almost half a floor was sent to the Quad.

But whether they got their first choices or not, most students tried to make the best of it. Some students sported badges reading "Kiss me; I'm going to the Quad." And some future North House residents spent the evening at a keg-party in their new dorm.

Lucky or not, quad-bound or headed for the river, most freshmen will have time to rejoice or case their woes. When they come back from New York or Florida or Nashville, Tenn. they'll have had plenty of the drink to celebrate--or forget.