SASC Forum on South Africa To Address Investment Issues

By Sarah L. Bingham

Members of the South Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC) last night agreed to sponsor a panel discussion between several experts on South Africa and Harvard's investment policies.

The forum--scheduled for April 1--will occur one week before the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility's (ACSR) April 7 open meeting on Harvard investment issues.

SASC, a group of Harvard students formed in 1977 in support of Blacks in South Africa and focusing on Harvard's South African investments, will seek the support of approximately 18 "politically active" student organizations for the April 1 discussion, Eric W. Ascherman '81, president of the group, said last night.

Ascherman added that he hopes the event will educate some of the interested members of the University community who "need to be better informed on the issues prior to the ACSR forum."

The group plans to invite representatives of several different sides of the South African investment controversy, Jacqueline O. Cooke '83, who attended last night's meeting, said, adding. "I tend to feel brainwashed at a 'panel' where all the opinions are the same."

The African National Congress, a group committed to "armed struggle" against the apartheid government and banned in South Africa, will send a spokesman, Ascherman said. SASC also plans to invite State Rep. Mel King (D-Mass.), journalist Anthony Lewis '48, and a member of the Corporation.