Eliot, Kirkland, Winthrop Vie for Straus Cup Title

Although officials have not yet tallied winter results, Winthrop, Kirkland and Eliot will most likely be vying for the Straus Cup Championship as competition leaves the IAB and moves outside for the spring season.

Winthrop's strengthened its bid for the title by placing second in the Men's A league basketball tournament to Currier House. The Quad Squad described by captain Rich Davenport as a "stronger, faster, and in-a-word better" team copped the crown, defeating the "House of Champions" in the final 54-34.

The championship was Currier's first team title in any sport in three years, and its second since in its intramural history.

Kirkland emerged as the real powerhouse this winter, grabbing laurels in men's hockey, women's basketball, and B-league squash.

The Kirkland pucksters ended the regular season with the only blemish on its 7-1 record coming from the sticks of Eliot House, which Kirkland overcame 2-1 in the finals of the championship tourney.

Dave Giandomenico and Brian Jolley tallied for K-House in the final, while Greg Dumanian--who allowed only three goals in three tournament games but had never played competitive hockey before this year--mishandled only one of Eliot's efforts.

In women's basketball action, K-House destroyed all comers, including an all-star team from Vale, and eventually romped to a 39-23 victory over a Winthrop squad to gain the hoop championship.

Chris Sailor led the Kirkland team which athletic secretary Peter Beilenson touted as the "most dominant team in intramural athletics this year." Characteristically in the championship game, the women stormed to a 24-2 lead in the first half before coasting to victory.

Eliot earned its lone title of the winter season in men's B-league basketball, where a tough squad led by Bill Henningsgard defeated a Leverett House contingent 34-28.