Golfers Cruise to Victory Against Brown and B.C.

By Constance M. Laibe

"Don't try to describe the scenery if you've never seen it, Don't ever forget that you may just wind up being gone." --Jimmy Buffett, non-golfer

Apparently the scenery--including the course, the weather, and the atmosphere--was sublime yesterday at The Country Club in Brookline, the site of the Harvard golf team's confrontation with Brown and Boston College. Sublime enough for Harvard to take the match despite turning in a substellar 412 for five rounds on the par-71 course.

"It was sort of an off-day," co-captain Glenn Alexander offered by way of explaining the team's performance. Carroll Lowenstein, who shot a respectable three-over-par 74, led the Crimson. Alexander and co-captain Chip Raffi compiled 82 and 83 respectively for Harvard's next best individual scores.

Fortunately the springtime slowdown affected the opposition as well, enabling the Crimson to cruise to first place. B.C., "usually a good match" for the Crimson according to Alexander, totaled 417 for the day. Brown, "usually easy to beat," floundered in the wake with 430.

"We really had no excuse today, since the conditions were good," Alexander said, praising the pleasant temperatures and moderate winds that were a marked contrast to the gales and snow flurries at Amherst Monday.

The sunshine even brought out some spectators yesterday afternoon--Crimson golfer emeritus Tom Edwards '80 turned up to watch his former teammates in their first home match of the season. Coach Dick Crosby reportedly played nine holes after watching his men tee off.

Brookline will also host the Crimson's match next Tuesday--the notorious battle between Harvard, Princeton and Yale. Ironically the match coincides with the mailing of admissions letters from the three schools.

Crimson psyche for the match should be high. "We always want to beat Yale and Princeton," says Alexander.