Softballers Humble B.U., 31-6; Pat Horne Cracks Grand Slam

Yesterday's softball game was supposed to be an acid test. But when the Crimson nine--ranked eighth in the New England area in a recent coaches poll--faced a, B.U. squad that had beaten them in every previous contest, they easily whipped the Terriers, 31-6, and upped their season record to 3-2

True, Terrier coach Cheryl Cronin left most of her starting lineup across the river to catch up in their classes, and at B.U. softball is still a club level sport. But with ace pitcher Cindy Watson--2-1 lifetime against the Crimson--on the mound, the Terriers could offer no excuses for the debacle. Harvard simply outclassed their archrivals with agressive play and unbelievable offensive pyrotechnics.

The afternoon began less than propitiously for the Crimson. Even before the game started, first baseman Marlene Schoofs suffered a broken nose when an infield practice throw took her unawares and hit her in the face.

But nearly everything else went right for Schoofs' teammates after she departed for UHS, as the Crimson scored ten runs in the first frame and increased the score in every inning except the second and third.

Off Day

Watson apparently was no mystery to the Crimson this year, as almost every batter in the lineup feasted on her servings. Third baseman Pat Horne led the attack, with a grand slam--the first in Harvard softball history--a single, a double and a walk. Leftfielder Elaine Holpuch slammed a three-run homer and rightfielder Betty Ippolito went four for four on the afternoon.

"For the first time this year, we really went out and got them; we didn't wait to start hitting," co-captain Ippolito said after the game.

In the bottom of the sixth--with the score 21-2--Coach Kit Morris sent out his bench battallion, and they responded by tallying ten runs. Even Karen Pelletier--usually a pitcher--got in on the act. Subbing for Alissa Friedman at second, Polletier went to the plate twice in the inning, collecting a single and a round-tripper.

Starting pitcher Nancy Boutilier, now 2-1 on the season, turned in a stellar performance, using her changeup effectively to hold the Terriers to only three hits and two runs over five innings.

The results of the game encouraged Ippolito and fellow captain Lisa Bernstein to predict future success for the squad.

"We're playing really well right now and that should get us up for the Ivies," Bernstein said. Ippolito commented, "We're going to surprise a lot of people; we've already surprised a lot of people."