Laxwomen Travel to Amherst Today To Face Nationally Ranked Minutemen

By John Beilenson

The Harvard women' lacrosse team puts its unblemished 9-0 record on the line today as the Crimson travels to Amherst to take on the sixth-ranked University of Massachusetts.

Despite a 9-2 thrashing of the University of New Hampshire, the laxwomen slipped behind Maryland this week to a third place ranking in the United Press International's national poll.

The Crimson wants to bolster its national ranking, and also to avenge last year's 6-4 loss to the Minutemen.

A tough first half in the UNH game gave the Crimson defense a rare challenge under game conditions. Ever since Harvard returned from its early season trip to Philadelphia and such lacrosse powerhouses as Ursinus and Temple, the only difference between their untested defenders and the spectators has been that the spectators were sitting down.

But UNH pressured the defense, and Sarah Sewall and crew hung tough, silencing UNH's offense completely in the second half.

Keeper Charlotte Worsely--who is nursing a twisted foot--said, "We went out in the second half, and there was no way we were going to lose. They're gutsy gang."

Today, on the offensive side, the Crimson needs the usual strong game out of leading scorers Francesca Den Hartog, Maureen Finn, and Cat Ferrante. The offense will depend on the same cutting rotation passing attack that hammered UNH with 35 shots. If things get tight, though, look for Den Hartog as the "Fran Without Ollie Show," which is always at its best during prime time.

THE NOTEBOOK--The J.V., which thrashed Tufts 23-2 Tuesday, will look to UMass to extend its unbeaten streak to five games. Jenny Stonestreet starred against the Jumbos (who were outshot 45 4) with seven goals and two assists.