Boycott Biko

DISSENTING OPINIONS

By Paul Jefferson

WE AGREE with the majority that seniors should not donate money to the University until Harvard completes its divestiture of is South African holdings. However, was strongly believe that students should also refrain from contributing to the Steve Biko fund.

The Biko fund is a palliative measure that diverts attention from the University's other dealings in South Africa, which are far larger in both monetary terms and real effects. Using a few Harvard scholarships to cure the South African problem is like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun.

It may be true that a Harvard education would benefit the lucky South African who won a Biko scholarship. But it is also true that if those same Blacks ever tried to return to their homeland, the apartheid system would effectively prevent them from using their education to help their fellow Black South Africans.

The Biko fund was established in order to elicit money from students who rightfully refuse to sanction South Africa's apartheid government. A successful Biko fund would send the administration the message that it can continue to own stock in companies that deal with South Africa as long as the facade of helping, the South African people is maintained.