Nader Is Selected As Class Speaker

Ralph Nader last Friday accepted the senior class committee's invitation to address graduating seniors as this year's Class Day speaker, committee members confirmed yesterday.

The committee contacted Nader, a consumer activist and a 1958 graduate of the Law School, last Thursday, and his office relayed his acceptance "almost immediately." Diane J. Dussault, an alumni office assistant, said yesterday.

Nader, who was not available for comment yesterday, was one of the Subcommittee on Class Day Selection's top choices for the June 3 event, Mary E. Schneider, '81, a committee member, said yesterday.

The selection of Nader followed a dispute within the senior class committee over whether to invite a speaker who would give a primarily humorous or serious presentation, sources said.

Benjamin H. Schatz '81, a class marshal and a member of the speaker subcommittee, noted that since the mid '70s class day speakers, such as author George Plimpton and comedian Rodney Dangerfield, had dealt with humorous topics in their speeches rather than serious issues.

Schatz said he hoped the choice of Nader would reverse the trend.

But some seniors, including members of the subcommittee, said yesterday that Class Day should be a more informal occasion than Commencement Day itself.

"My own feeling is that it should be more relaxed and enjoyable." Schneider said, adding that she felt Nader was still a good choice, because "he will have something important to say."

One Lowell House senior, who refused to be identified, said yesterday. "Even though Nader will probably give a very informative speech, I wanted somebody who would be funny."

Subcommittee members said the official announcement's of Nader's selection will be made today at a senior class committee meeting.

The committee faced several difficult "definition" problems in selecting a speaker, Stephen B. King '81, the Kirkland House representative, and a subcommittee member, said yesterday. He added that the committee considered potential speakers' reputations, their senses of humor and their potential appeal to the Class Day audience, King said.

The list of possible speakers compiled by the subcommittee was a composite of suggestions submitted by sentors on lists the class committee members posted in House dining halls.

His (Nader's) name was definitely on those lists," Schneider said.

The events of Class Day--including a midday picnic and addresses by several student speakers--take place the day before the University commencement ceremony and are devoted to the College's graduating seniors and their families.

The speaker for commencement day afternoon. June 4, to be chosen by the Associated Harvard Alumni, has still not been finalized because the most likely candidate is still trying to fit it into his schedule, George Putnam '49, University treasurer, said yesterday.

David A. Aloian '49, executive director of the AHA, and other AHA and University officials have declined to comment on the choice. There is speculation that the speaker may not receive an honorary degree, which could indicate that a political figure will give the commencement speech.

Cyrus Vance, former secretary of state and last year's speaker, and Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, (D.-N.Y.), a former professor of Education who spoke in 1977, did not receive honoraries, marking a departure from previous tradition. Honoraries and commencement speakers are customarily not announced until commenc%ment.

Past Class Day speakers include last year's Walter Cronkite, Rodney Dangerfield, William F. Buckley, Jr. and Dick Gregory.

The subcommittee this year had extended invitiations to actors Ed Asner and Jane Fonda, but both declined because of scheduling conflicts.

Other figures committee members said it was considering two weeks ago included Vernon Jordan, former Rep. Robert Drinan, Richard Pryor, Andrew Young, Alan Alda, Lily Tomlin, Garry Trudeau, and Gloria Steinem.

Members of the subcommittee declined to reveal which other possible speakers had declined a formal offer.

Like all Class Day speakers, Nader will receive no honorarium for his appearance, although the Associated Harvard Alumni provide a Class Day budget that covers the speaker's expenses