Thinclads Destroy Northeastern, 96-69; Team Faces Yale For Perfect Record

By Daniel S. Benjamin

The men's track team overcame Reading Period yesterday to thrash visiting Northeastern 94-69.

The victory, which came a week and a half after the Crimson demolished the Huskies at the GBCs, sealed the thinclads' revenge for the two-point victory N.U. eked out last reading period during the indoor season.

In addition, the win pushed the Crimson to within one victory of an undefeated season in full-team competition. The thinclads have a strong chance of achieving that feat this weekend when they travel to Yale. The Crimson is favored in the annual dual meet.

Yesterday, though, was Mark Henry Day at Soldiers Field. Not like Mary Throneberry Day at Shea when all the folks from Canarsie come out to cheer their idol. More like put it down on the calendar, fly a flag, call your friends and have a party because it is Mark Henry day.

For starters, Henry won the 100-meter dash in 10.8 seconds. He then set a personal record, winning the 200-meter dash in 21.5 seconds. Okay, a good day, maybe even a red-letter day.

But then, Henry decided it was time to lay his claim to the Gus Udo "Hmm-let's-see-if-maybe-I-can-win-everything" award. He trotted over to the triple jump and took second there with a distance of 45 ft., 5 1/4 ins.

Why not try the high jump? Henry did, but for once, he did not place.

Perhaps not winning all the field events incensed Henry. For whatever reason, he tried to redeem himself by substituting, for Peter Nsiah, who is out with a pulled hamstring, in the 400-meter relay. He ran the anchor leg, and along with Dwayne Jones. Jay Hudson and Bennet Midlo won the event. Incidentally, Mark Henry is a freshman.

That's May 6--Mark Henry Day.

Some of Mark's teammates also had good days. In the 110-meter hurdles Chuck Johnson set a new personal record of 14.6 seconds--a full third of a second off his old time--on a cinder track that is only a little faster than the novels in Comp Lit 154, "Balzac, Dickens and Dostoyevski."

In the field events, Dave Randall continued to reach for pole vault heaven, winning at 14 feet, while Garth Andrade grabbed another first in the javelin with a toss of 197 feet, 7 inches. And in the steeplechase, which combines lots of track and a little swimming. Bruce Weber fought a tough early stretch to run his second fastest time of the year, winning in 9:19.1.

One of the biggest boosts the Crimson got, however came from the Huskies themselves, who looked more like it was their reading period. As team co-captain Dave Frim put it. "It was just a fun meet. The Northeastern kids came over and they just did not want to win. That's fun."