Sweltering Heat Lays Siege to Boston

By William E. McKibben

The sweltering heat which has laid siege to New England most of the week is expected to continue today, amid reports of dramatically increased water consumption and concern from local physicians that the hot spell may become a health problem.

University Health Services doctors asked the Athletic Department to close Weld Boathouse on Wednesday--a ruling that will stay in effect through today--for fear rowers might be overcome by heat.

Laughing

"You can lose a lot of fluid out on the river without noticing it," Dr. Warren E. C. Wacker, director of UHS, said yesterday, adding "there's also a difference between being overcome by heat on a basketball court with a lot of people around, and being overcome by heat all alone in the middle of the river." The boathouse will stay closed "until the weather breaks," athletic department spokesman Brian Gordon said yesterday.

Temperatures in Boston peaked at 99 degrees yesterday at 4 p.m., tieing the record for the day. Temperatures on Wednesday hit 98 degrees between 2 and 3 p.m., one degree short of the 1937 record high.

National Weather Service forecasters yesterday predicted temperatures between 90 and 95 degrees for today, with slight onshore winds and possibly a decrease in the humidity. But Boston's air is also becoming increasingly dirty as the week wears on, the Weather Service said. A spokesman attributed much of the "unhealthful air" to industrial and auto pollution from the midwest riding into the area with the heat.

The Metropolitan District Commission, which supplies water for most eastern Massachusetts cities and towns. Wednesday launched a major water-conservation drive, citing reduced water levels in its Quabbin Reservoir, now at 85 per cent of capacity.

Demands

Cambridge, which has its own water supply system, is in better shape. Conrad Fagone, head of the city's Department of Public Works, said yesterday. "There's no immediate emergency for us, and we're holding our own barring a major drought," he said.

Water usage in Cambridge has increased 25 per cent in the last two weeks, though, and Fagone said antiquated pumping equipment at the city's Fresh Pond treatment plant is feeling the strain. "It's tough on the old equipment: if one pump quit tomorrow, we'd be in big trouble." Fagone said, adding "I am doing a lot of praying."

Harvard water use is up as well, J. Lawrence Joyce, director of Buildings and Grounds (B & G) for the University, said yesterday, adding that increased usage means financial hardship for the University because of increased fees now being charged by the city.

"Last year we spent $500,000 on water and sewers in Cambridge." Joyce said, adding "this year we're looking at close to $700,000." Former city manager James L. Sullivan, who left his post earlier this month, raised the fees in an effort to offset property tax losses resulting from Proposition 2 1/2.

B & G workers are continuing to monitor Harvard buildings to insure that they are not cooled below 78 degrees, a policy instituted last summer after a call for conservation from then-President Carter, Joyce said.

"For a lot of people, 78 degrees is hot," he said, adding that some buildings, including laboratories were exempt from the policy.

No cases of heat prostration or heat exhaustion serious enough to require hospitalization have been reported so far, Wacker said. He advised the elderly or those with chronic illnesses to avoid exertion and drink plenty of fluids. "Anytime the temperature is over 95 degrees and there is humidity like this, people should be careful," Wacker said.