Yearbook To Publish '85 Facebook

The Yearbook staff has agreed to publish a Freshman Register for the Class of 1985, despite an earlier threat to cancel publication if the University did not find a new home for the Yearbook.

Citing "sufficient indications from the University that they were going to follow through on their commitment to find us a new building." Yearbook president Donald Tarver 82 said yesterday that the staff would try to publish the face book by September 7, when freshmen will arrive.

Split Up

Yearbook offices, housed last year on the third floor of the Office of Career Services and Off Campus Learning Building on Dunster St., will be split between the basement of Grays Hall and the basement of North House next year, Tarver said.

Although the executive board originally rejected the University's offer of North House space because of its location. Tarver said the staff could probably function in the building for a year. "We will continue to actively pursue other leads, even though we have a temporary home," Tarver said.

Advocate

Both he and Francis Lawton, assistant dean for facilities, said the Yearbook was preparing to reopen negotiations with the Advocate in hopes of buying the South St. building used by the literary magazine. Similar negotiations broke down last winter, but Lawton said yesterday the Advocate site was probably "their prime location at this moment."

In a June 18 letter to Dean Fox. Tarver reiterated the Yearbook position that there were "major reservations" to using the North House facilities, for reasons of both safety and convenience.

Lawton said, however, that other space around the University would be hard to find. "I've got long lists of people looking for space," Lawton said.

The Yearbook threat to withhold the Register, which quickly became overshadowed in a dispute over the content of last year's Yearbook, was met with promise from some administrators that they would try to publish their own Register. Those plans now have been canceled