Netwomen Top Penn St.; Evans, Schulman Shine

By Marco L. Quazzo

The Harvard women's tennis team looked shaky at times yesterday against a fired-up squad from Penn State, but the Crimson used clearly superior skills to grab a tough 5-4 win at Soldiers Field.

Despite having two of their top four players, Erica Smith and captain Maria Pe, out of action with injuries, the net-women got off to a strong start by winning four of the six singles matches. But Harvard's lack of early season practice showed up in doubles play, as the team needed a hard-fought victory from Erica Schulman and Tracy Kunichika in the number-two slot to secure the win.

The netwomen now boast a 2-0 record for the fall season, including a 9-0 win over B.C. last Thursday.

Frosh Lead the Charge

Three highly touted freshmen led the way for Harvard yesterday with wins in singles competition. Matched against Penn State rookie Linda Learmonth at number two, the Crimson's Elizabeth Evans displayed an impressive serve-and-volley game and cruised to a 6-3, 6-0, win.

Yardlings Debbie Kaufman and Deanne Loonin also looked sharp, winning in straight sets in the fifth and sixth positions.

Not to be outdone by the youngsters, Schulman, a sophomore, struggled to a tough 7-5, 7-6, win over Sue Whiteside at third singles, and then moved on to her crucial doubles victory.

Serving Aches

Harvard's top player, Tiina Bougas, had a tough time all afternoon, losing a lengthy three-setter to Carol Daniels, 7-6, 1-6, 6-1, and then dropping her doubles match, 6-3, 7-6.

Clearly not loosened up for the season, Bougas frequently resorted to an underhand second serve and lacked her usual aggressive court style.

But when it counted most Harvard had what it took to send Penn State home unhappy yesterday. Down 3-0 in the first set to the doubles team of Zenia Matiliwsky and Denna Dipenzo, Schulman and Kunichika adjusted their game by abandoning the net in favor of the baseline. With the help of consistent groundstrokes, strong defensive play and patience, the Crimson duo came back to take the first set, faltered during the second, and then recovered in time to win the third frame and the match, 6-3, 5-7, 7-5.

"Good teams and good players have to win on a bad day, and today we did just that," coach Don Usher said after the match.

"Penn State impressed me a lot because even though they weren't as naturally talented as we are, they fight a lot harder than most teams," he added.

With cooperation from the weather, the netwomen should be able to sharpen their play this week in preparation for defending their crown at the Greater Boston Championships next Saturday. Usher expects the injured contingent of Pe, Smith and Debbie Kalish to return to action by the weekend.