Littauer Foundation Funds New K-School Auditorium

The Kennedy School of Government has received a $500,000 gift from the Lucius N. Littauer Foundation to finance constructionn of a 200-seat auditorium in the school's proposed new building, K-School officials announced Friday.

The auditorium will be named in honor of Henry Starr '21, president of the Harvard-affiliated Littauer Foundation and a member of the K-School's Visiting Committee.

It will be used for classes, conferences and other academic and related gatherings which require a large seating capacity, Bayley F. Mason '51, associate dean for resources, said yesterday.

Associated with the K-School for more than 50 years, Starr said recently, "Let me express my pleasure that with the grant our foundation can once again contribute to the growth and commanding importance of the School of Government."

Starr's other work at Harvard includes his leadership in the establishment of Judaic Studies at the University.

Gee, Thanks

Graham T. Allison '62, dean of the K-School, also expressed his gratitude for the Starr grant recently, saying, "I can think of no individual or foundation that has played a more important role in the conception and realization of a major new academic venture at Harvard."

"The Harry Starr Auditorium will help ensure that future generations of public leaders are made aware and reminded of the significant role Harry Starr had played [in the K-School's history]," Allison added.