Call Us

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Members of the R-H Peace Alliance are dismayed by President Reagan's decision to continue with draft registration. By going back on his campaign pledge to scrap registration Reagan demonstrates a lack of integrity. This move is another example of how the current administration relies upon the threat of military force to carry out its foreign policy. Reagan claims that ending registration would send the wrong signal to the Soviet Union during the crisis in Poland. While determining an appropriate response to events in Poland is difficult, attempting to register 18-year-old men does nothing to help the Polish people, but does heighten international tension.

Continuing with the registration program prepares Americans to accept an increasingly militaristic climate, paving the way for potential resumption of the draft. Our growing entanglement in Central America is one of many situations in which "improving our military preparedness" could lead us into war. But over a million young men have not cooperated with the government's registration scheme. And attempts by the government to enforce registration will probably be ineffective; only one of every one thousand non-registrants can be prosecuted before the courts become over-crowded.

Young men born in 1963 and 64 are being asked to register by the government. Should inductions begin, registrants will have only ten days to file claims for exemptions or deferments. We urge those faced with the decision of whether or not to register to seek draft counseling (available from American Friends Service Committee (661-6130) and from Pax Christi (354-4354). Rely on your conscience. If you decide not to register, you will not be alone.Jeff Knopf  Jenny Trascher  John Lindsay  at Radcliffe-Harvard Peace Alliance