Swimmers Deep-Six Bruins

Undefeated Record Stands at 5-0

The Harvard men's swimming team defeated Brown, 84-28, Friday night at Blodgett Pool in its last meet before exams.

Despite throwing two events and using second stringers throughout the meet, the Crimson swimmers won 11 of 13 events in raising their record to 5-0 in the Eastern Collegiate Swimming League.

Freshman Dave Barnes took two first places while sophomore Mike Miao and junior co-captain Ted Chappel each achieved personal records in the freestyle. Miao's time of 45.52 in the 100-yd. freestyle set a Harvard University record, and Chappel's time of 9:16.88 in the 1000-yd. free was the fifth-best time clocked in that event nationally this year.

Two Timer

Barnes was the only double-winner of the meet, swimming to an impressive 1:54.30 in the 200-yd. individual medley and teaming with fellow freshmen Bob Grabchak and Bill McCloskey and sophomore Bob Tyler to take the 400-yd. medley relay in 3:37.58. Nine different members of the team won individual honors, testifying to the team's great balance and depth.

After the meet, coach Joe Bernal said he was "extremely satisfied" by the team's performance, considering the quality of the opposition and the hard work the team has put into preparing for exams.

Ace

Bernal was especially pleased by Chappel's time in the 1000-yd. freestyle event. He said that "at this time of the season it is an exceptional swim." The coach said he was surprised by Miao's record time in the 100-yd. freestyle because Miao has been plagued by shoulder and knee problems that have limited his training.

The record-setting sophomore from Los Angeles was unexcited by his achievement. After the meet, Miao said, "I could have done better," and added that he would have to improve his time by seven-tenths of a second to qualify for the nationals at Brown Deer, Wisconsin, later this year.

In the absence of any competition from Brown in the diving events, Bernal said he decided to rest his top two divers, freshman Dan Watson and junior Jeff Mule, and give the other divers an opportunity to score points toward their varsity letters. Sophomore Karl Illing and freshman Steve Feyerick took the one- and three-meter diving events, respectively, and both qualified for the NCAA qualifying meet in diving.

Coach Bernal said that in a meet like this the swimmers are primarily swimming against each other for spots on the 18-man squad that he will take to the Eastern Championships.

He added that a major problem in one-sided meets is keeping the score competitive. He said that it can be "embarrassing to the other coach if the score is too overwhelming." Therefore, many of the swimmers swam unofficially in the last few events in order to make the meet seem closer.