RCA To Give Kennedy School $50,000 for Stanton Chair

RCA has given $50,000 toward the endowment of the Frank Stanton Professorship with-in the newly established Center for Press, Politics and Public Policy at the Kennedy School of Government.

The RCA grant joins a $500,000 grant made by CBS last summer to help endow the first of two planned professorships in the Center.

"The Center is the main priority and dream of the Institute of Politics," Jonathan Moore, chairman for the Center's planning committee and director of the Institute, said yesterday, adding, "We couldn't be more excited about it."

The center was founded to lead the study of "the impact of the press on the electoral process, the impact of the press on governance, and the impact of public policy on the press," Moore said.

The professorship is named in honor of Frank Stanton, president of CBS from 1946-1971 and member of the Board of Overseers. Stanton has been a prominent defender of First Amendment rights for journalists.

Ira A. Jackson'70, associate dean of the K-School, said yesterday the Center has already begun sponsoring conferences and public events, adding that it is the first of its kind in the country.

Full funding of the center will require $5 million for two tenured professorships, junior faculty positions and research fellows, support for research projects and special programs, and space in the proposed addition to the Kennedy School.