President Bok In Florida on Fund Drive

President Bok left last week for a three-week trip in Florida to promote Harvard's five-year, $250-million fundraising campaign, which started in October 1979.

"Bok is due to make some appearances in Florida before alumni from the area. He'll be in Palm Beach for a dinner January 15, and he'll be in Fort Lauderdale and Miami for a luncheon and dinner respectively on January 16," David Johnson, a spokesman for the campaign, said yesterday.

Bok and other University officers will make sweeps of major American cities over the next two years. Since this fall, Bok, Fred L. Glimp, vice president for alumni affairs and development, Dean Rosovsky, and various members of the Faculty have visited more than 30 cities and intend to travel to another 70.

Going All Over

"What we're trying to do is to bring the needs of the University before alumni all over America. This fall we were in the Northeast, but we'll be moving down to the South and Midwest this winter and spring," Thomas M. Reardon, director of University Development, said yesterday.

While Reardon would not comment on the current progress of the drive, the development office in July 1981 said the campaign had solicited more than $150 million in gifts and pledges. The office added that the drive would continue until 1984 even if the original goal is exceeded. The campaign is the largest fund drive ever undertaken by a University.