Whitewash

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Despite the rather biased tone of William Mckibben's article. "City Blocks Work on Condo Project," (Crimson, December 8), one contradiction comes through to explain the neighborhood's surprise at the posting of a demolition notice at 134 Mount Auburn St.

Lewis Armistead, assistant to the Vice president, says: "Everyone was pretty well aware or should have been that under the plans those two buildings were to be eliminated." But Charles Sullivan, executive director of the Historical Commission, said: "...the university had only recently applied for demolition permits for the two buildings... If they had wished to proceed with early spring construction, they could have asked for demolition permits any time during the last year..." Ordinary citizens had no chance of being "well aware" of Harvard's plans until the demolition notice went up.

Harvard should be commended for its effort in working with citizens on this project, and we certainly hope that this effort will continue to be made. Just offhand, it is not clear to an ordinary person how this tremendous complex must await the destruction of these two little buildings in one corner of the large space, since they are to be replaced only by a little park and a parking space for a half-dozen cars on so. Laurence Wylie   Dillon Professor   Civilization of France Emeritus