Booters Whitewash Big Red For First Ivy League Victory

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

Playing in a cold rain that is more common in the English League than the Ivy League, the Harvard men's soccer team ended a four-game losing streak Saturday, overpowering Cornell in overtime, 4-2, for its first Ivy win.

Senior halfback Leighton Welch got the game-winning goal in the first of two overtime halves Freshman forward Lane Ken worthy knocked a cross on an indirect free kick from the left, and Welch soared above a goal mouth crowd to nod home a header through the legs of Big Red goalkeeper from Ferry.

"The ball was there, and I got up and redirected it," recounted Welch. "You just gotta be there first."

Cornell had opened the scoring 12 minutes into the match, when forward Mike Fisher snack behind the Crimson back line Midfielder Pat Murphy slipped a pass to the Big Red captain, and Fisher hit a right footed rocket from 12 yards for the tally.

Controlling the pace of the game with methodic offensive build ups initiated by its fullbacks and halfback Mike Mogollon. Harvard knotted the score 20 minutes later on a slick set play combination between Ken worthy and Captain Lance Ayrault On an indirect free kick just outside the Cornell penalty box, the freshman from Atlanta roller the ball to Ayrault. The senior striker smacked a hard drive with the outside of his right foot that blazed past the Big Red's wall and burnt into the net inches from the left post.

Kenworthy's assist was part of a solid performance in general In previous starts, he often seemed out of the flow of the game. But taking free kicks and corners and drawing some of the defensive attention reserved for Ayrault, the yearling melted into the Crimson attack against Cornell.

"It's getting better and better," said Ken worthy, explaining he feels more comfortable because the squad is "going forward more in stead of being stuck on the defensive."

His solid play was mortared by that of the two other freshman starters Left back Johan Ahr and halfback Ian Hardington were both instrumental in directing offensive movement and the matches have usually been more physical than skillful opening minutes of the second half Sliding up from the back line. Ahr hit a 30-yard rocket that dented the Cornell crossbar.

Less than a minute later, the freshman from Aalsneer. Holland made an identical run in stead of shooting, he crossed to halfback Leo Lanzillo, rambling into the Big Red's penalty area Lanzillo rocked away a neat volley into the right of the Cornell twines for the tally.

Cornell threw the match into overtime with 17 minutes left in regulation. Fisher took a low free kick from the right side that resulted in general confusion in the Harvard penalty box. Halfback Ted Heinrich used the hysteria to slip in the tying score.

After Welch's goal, the Big Red came forward with abandon, and Lanzillo clinched the win for Harvard heading home a long cross from halfback John I. Yons in the second half of the overtime.

THE NOTEBOOK The win levels the Crimson's Ivy League mark at 1-1, with a less in-spring overall record of 2-4-0...Goalkeeper Phil Coogan came through with two point-blank saves that kept Harvard in the lead at crucial moments in the match...The booters travel to Hanover next Saturday to face Dartmouth. The Big Green always get particularly motivated to play against Harvard, and the matches have usually been more physical than skillful.