B&G Says All Dormatories Will Have Heat By Tonight

Although Eliot: Dunster, old Quincy, and Wigglesworth are still without heat. Frank A. Marciano, manager of the maintenance office of the Department of Buildings and Grounds, said yesterday that all dormitories in the College will have heat by tonight.

Harvard is low in violation of a state law which requires that all dormitories be heated after September 15.

Howard S. Wensley, a staff member at the Massachusetts Board of Public Health, said yesterday that Harvard officials called him Wednesday to explain that building renovations are delaying the heating.

William S. Flanagan, shift fireman for B&G's utility's operation division, said yesterday that the delays are due to "renovations additions. and repair to the heating systems of all Houses on the river."

New Lines

Repair of the heating systems has been delayed because of delays at B&G in receiving necessary equipment, Marciano said. "I only received the last load of equipment last week," he added.

Chapter two of the State Sanitary Code require that residences must be at least 68 degrees between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. and at least 64 degrees between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.

B&G workers did as much pre-piping and pre-engineering as possible before the arrival of the equipment. Thomas A. Tribble, manager of buildings automation, said yesterday.

Tribble said B&G brought in extra help Monday. "But you can't just turn on the system, there are all kinds of pump and control valves," he said.

B & G officials chose those dormitories to complete repairs and turn on the heating in first depending on the size of the system and the equipment that had to be removed, Tribble said. The four buildings that remain unheated "are probably just bigger jobs," he added.

October 15 was the projected deadline for completion of the renovations. "We were on schedule as of Monday, then the 15th became an unrealistic deadline because of the cold spilt," Tribble said. "If it hadn't gotten cold there wouldn't have been any problems. Next year we'll aim for the first of October."