Cardinals Top Brewers, 6-2; McGee Ties Homer Mark

Powered by Willie McGee's two home runs and four RBIs and backed by spectacular pitching, the St. Louis Cardinals cruised to a 6-2 win over the Milwaukee Brewers in the third game of the World Series. The win gave St. Louis a 2-1 Series lead.

McGee's two home runs--one a three-run blast in the fifth and the other a solo shot in the seventh--tied a record held by Tony Kubek and Charlie Keller for most home runs hit by a rookie in a World Series game.

Cardinal starter and winner Joaquin Andujar pitched six sand one-their innings of three-hit shutout baseball until a Ted Simmons line drive hit him in the knee and removed him from the game. Jim Kaat, Doug Bear and finally Bruce Sutter finished the game.

St. Louis scored its fifth run in the seventh when Lonnie Smith tripled and scored on an errant throw by Ganther. And the Cards scored their final run in the ninth' on a catcher's interference call, a double by Dane lorg and two walks.

Brewer starter Pete Vuckovich pitched eight and two-thirds innings and took the loss, allowing aix hits, five for extra bases.

The only Milwaukee runs came in the eighth inning when Cecil Cooper hit a him run with Paul Molitor on base.

Today's fourth game int he best-of-seven series starts at 1:30 p.m. in Milwaukee. Dave LaPoint will start for the Brewers, while Moose Haas gets the nod for St. Louis.