Eagles Soar Over Booters, 3-0; Harvard Drops Third Straight

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

NEWTON, Mass--It all started out rosy For the opening 40 minutes of its match last night, the Harvard men's soccer team was flying high making the Boston College Eagles look like an endangered species.

Playing in necktie-wide Alumni Field on unfamiliar artificial turf, the booters were dominating the highly routed B C squad, once ranked in the nation's top twenty But despite all the work in defense and clear control of the midfield, the Crimson could not create more than a handful of scoring chances and failed to take the opportunities it made.

Then the first 40 ended "There were times when we stroked it around perfectly," said senior sweeper Frank Ricapito, "but you could feel then [B C's] momentum building slowly" When it did the booters ended up shut out and three goals short of a tie.

The Eagles momentum began to boil over at 43:05 when they converted on a long throw in into Harvard penalty box a play they had been rehearsing for most of the match Fullback Mike Byrne hoisted a loss from the left touchline that Crimson goalkeeper Phil Coogan let slip out of his grasp Forward Jon Farrow was in the proverbial tight place and nodded home a goal that rousted his team mates out of hibernation.

"I came out and got pushed in the air, but you always get pushed in the air," Coogan explained "It was just bad goalkeeping."

After the half B C was a different squad and Harvard's domination disappeared Six minutes into the second stanza Ricapito challenged a B C forward about thirty yards from the Crimson goal. The ball squirted loose and rolled to substitute Eagle winger Todd Toensing Dribbling into the Harvard penalty area the freshman flicked the ball past a charging Coogan and drilled home a right footer

Looking at a two-goal deficit. Harvard's composure started slipping. "When a team falls behind," explained Coach Jape Shattuck, "things get more and more rushed"

Shattuck moved the team into a man to man defense, and B C took the opportunity to open up its attack even farther "You have to start taking risks in the back, and you spend your defensive security like dirty lucre," said Shattuck.

With 28 minutes left in the game, B C got its final tally of the evening on some miscommunication in the Harvard defense Intercepting a deep pass into the Crimson end Ricapito pushed the ball back to Coogan Anticipating the play, Toensing sped in and took the ball off the Crimson 'keep's feet and fired into the empty net for his second goal of the night.

NOTEBOOK The loss leaves Harvard at 1-4-0 (0-1-0 in the Ivy League 0-2-0 in the Greater Boston League) with an important Ivy match with Cornell next Saturday Senior forward Richard Berkman continued Thursday he quit the squad after the UConn game Leading the team in scoring with two goals and one assist, Berkman cited several communication problems with Shattuck as his reason for leaving "I wouldn't quit the game for one incident, I love the game too much." he said Shattuck said he felt Berkman was unsatisfied with his role on the team"