Ex-CIA Official Forsees New Government-Science Links

By John D. Solomon

Admiral Bobby Ray Inman was paid in know at lot shoot a fat of people.

Among the people Inman monitored during his stints as Director of the National Security Agency (NSA) and an Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) were scientists who research he insisted has bolstered the Soviet military.

However human last night expressed optimism over "a new dialogue" between academics and the government on these issues and the possibility that the flow of information can be stemmed by that partnership.

Earlier he addressed 150 people at the Institute of Polices on "American Intelligence System: Are They Adequate for the 80s?"

Inman said the major threat to the future of the United States will be whether it can curb "leaks from industrial research. He added that a similar dialogue between business and the government is necessary.

The former CIA official, who resigned from the Reagan Administration earlier this year was the major force in the intelligence community behind the recent tightening restrictions on publishing scholarly technological information.

In a controversial this January, Inman said thus scientists had better except voluntary regulations on-publicizing or else face legal restraints in such fields as computer hardware and software, lasers, crop projections, and cryptology."

When he headed the NSA, Inman instituted a set of voluntary restrictions on the publication of cryptology methods, including codemaking and breaking. Inman has said that scientists should prefer voluntary guidelines to one Congress might mandate.

One of the reasons for Inman's current optimists is a recent National Academy of Sciences report which suggested a compromise between an open-flow of information and some voluntary restrictions.