Forgotten but Not Resolved

EL SALVADOR

JUST LAST SPRING, the civil war in El Salvador monopolized the evening news and morning papers. But since the U.S. backed elections in March brought the extreme right to power, there has been a relative lull in the fighting. The media, understandably busy with conflicts in the Falkland Islands and Lebanon, have shifted their attention elsewhere, giving many the impression that all is well. But it isn't.

Last week leftist guerrillas launched a major offensive on key Salvadoran cities, including San Salvador. The attack on the capital was the most serious assault by the guerrillas since then unsuccessful attempt to disrupt the March elections.

Renewed activity by the left is a sign that the new government is not trying to alleviate El Salvador's vast social and economic enclitic or reconcile itself with the guerrillas Since coming to power, the extreme right has halted land reform initiative undertaken by its Christian Democratic predecessors. President of the assembly Robert' Aubuisson has vowed to "kill every last communist in the country". And terror tactics by the military have increased, not ceased, according to human rights monitoring groups.

The United States is at least partially to blame for the continued chaos in El Salvador. Somehow, the Reagan Administration has managed to assert that the new government is making progress on human rights. This runs contrary to all available evidence but suffices to convince Congress to send more guns and military assistance to El Salvador So'd' Aubuisson believes he has a free hand to do as he pleases.

The Administration and Congress should stop supplying the Salvadoran military and start putting pressure on d'Aubisson to continue land reform and seek an agreement with the guerrillas. American involvement in El Salvador--which will amount to more than $200 million for fiscal 1983--serves no constructive purpose if it maintains the status quo. What influence we have would be better used to effect pragmatic change. For the time being, though, we are only adding fuel to the fire.