Women's Health At UHS

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We are writing in response to recent articles on gynecological and obstetrical care at the University Health Service. As members of the Consumer's Council of the Harvard University Group Health Plan, we concern ourselves with quality of care, recommend improvements, and in cooperation with patient advocate Amy Justice help to resolve complaints and grievances.

In the past three years, we have suggested changes in the OB/GYN Service which address a number of issues raised by individual patients as well as by the Joint Committee on the Status of Women. The Health Service has responded by hiring an obstetrical nurse-practitioner who provides pre-natal care, offers Pregnancy and New Parent classes, and supplies appropriate educational materials. In addition, the Health Service has been looking into possible participation in the midwifery program at Brigham & Women's Hospital and is planning to employ a third obstetrician (preferably female).

Although all the issues are still not fully resolved, we wish to express our appreciation of the improvements accomplished to date. The administrators of the University Health Services need encouragement to continue their efforts. All patients can help to bring about positive changes by offering their suggestions or complaints to the Patient Advocate, Amy Justice (495-2070) or to the following Council members: Cathy Gersch (495-6228), Althea Aschmann (495-5709). Althea Aschmann   Consumer's Council,   Harvard University Group Health Plan