Frustrated Jocks and First-Timers Find House Football More Than Just Fun

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

Everyone's Little League coach preached that it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game that's important. None of these coaches over played intramural tackle football at Harvard.

Smaller and less swift than their varsity counterparts, House football competitors nonetheless adhere to all of the traditions of the gridiron from frenzied pre-game * to furious mid-field gang tackles.

"It's no fun if you're getting clobbered every week," says South House Captain Dave Schieffelin. "Of course there's friendly spirit that brings everyone together to play, but everyone wants to win, too."

The nine-team league begins its third week of play today with a full schedule of games on the field behind the Stadium. The season culminates in playoffs next month and confrontations between Harvard's top squads and those from Yale on November 20, the day of The Game.

Can't Got Enough

"At least half the gays playing for us have played organized football in either high school or college," says Kirkland Coach Bob Wade. "Either they just didn't want to make the time commitment to J.V. varsity ball, or they just couldn't make it, so they play House ball instead."

Others suit up for the first time because of the prestige and good times associated with the premier intramural sport.

"We've got a bunch of people on our team who have never played organized football in their life," says Lowell House Captain-Coach Tom Lamont. "They just want to have some fun and play a little ball before they get out of school."

"It gives guys a chance to blow off some stream, and have a good time." Schieffellin explains. Adds Lamont, "We don't run around and pretend we're Vince Lombardi and make people run steps in the Stadium. It's meant to be, and it is, a lot of fun."

Practices, in fact, sometimes takes a back seat to fun. In its first game last week, Kirkland House had to call a time-out immediately after kicking off to Winthrop. "We had to discuss how to play defense," explains Coach Wade.

Kirkland, a haven for varsity athletes in many sports, lost that contest on a last-second touchdown bomb from Winthrop quarterback Charlie Stack to wide receiver Cormac McLeod.

Lowell House, anything but a haven for varsity athletes, shocked everyone by winning its first game in seven years, an 8-0 shutout over Leverett.

"It was certainly our biggest win in a long, long time," three-year veteran Lamont comments with Lame understatement.

Wintrhop manhandled its first two opponents, and team members predict they will march to a Strauss Cup title this year.

"In my mind, I don't think there's anyone who can touch us," says Winthrop Atheletic Secretary Jeff Kate. The Cup is awarded annually to the House with the best overall record in intramural sports.

While Winthrop prepares for a Thursday showdown against Lowell House, Currier will square off against South House today.

In Thursday's other game, Kirkland will face a combined Dunster-Mather squad. Wade says his troops are ready for battle "We're going to kill them, but I can't tell you how. It's a secret."