Rent Board Director Set For Challenge

Roger Mervis, whom City Manager Robert W. Healy last week appointed to the vacant executive directorship at the Cambridge Rent Control Board, yesterday gave an unusual reason for taking the job.

"The offices of the rent control board are in Central Square, and Central Square is known for its fine Szechuan Chinese restaurants," he explained in an interview. "I want to be near there to sample the fare."

But the 1980 graduate of the Kennedy School's public administration program does not take his new position lightly. Describing himself as "a supporter of rent control in circumstances such as those found in the Cambridge housing market." Mervis said that he "wants to further the cause of rent control with fair and effective administration."

After reading the report of the special commission appointed by Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci to examine problems at the agency he will head as of November 10, the Kokomo, Ind. native said he would "feel comfortable implementing most, if not all, of the recommendations."

He added he is trying "to keep an open mind of what's needed," and wants to avoid "prejudging the case and implementing policies that may not be necessary."