Crimson Ski Club Glides into Action

Makes Revival After 10 Years

By Christopher J. Georges

For the first time in over 10 years, Harvard will once again have a ski club.

Jeff Block '84 and Jon Margolis '85 are organizing the new club for experienced skiiers who want to ski but who are not interested in the rigors of competing on the ski team. It will also provide skiiers the opportunity to learn and develop their skills in a relaxed atmosphere.

One distinct advantage of signing up with the club rather than winging it alone is that the group will travel to vacation spots and ski at reduced rates. "This is really the only way to ski at a decent price," Margolis elaborated. "Last year I went to Europe to ski and I was blown away financially."

The club is already planning weekend getaways for students. Among the more popular targeted resorts are Killington and Stowe. Also on the agenda are night skiing outings to mountains in western Massachusetts.

The major events of the year, however, are two week-long treks--one preceding and one following the first semester reading period. From January 1-8, the club will go to Sugarbush in Vermont, and from January 25 to February 2 it will ski at Aspen, Colorado.

"I'm sure that skiing at Aspen will draw a crowd," Margolis lrughed. "You know the Aspen myth--well, there's a good reason for it."

Schedule

In order to raise funds the club is planning a ski sale slated for later this fall, and held jointly with the ski team. Events like this will have to be the club's major source of income because it is school policy not to provide any organization with funds during its first year of existance.

Bloch is uncertain at present how large the club will be or what policies it will adopt. "So far there has been a great deal of interest, and we've received a lot of calls," he said, "but the final direction of the club will be decided by the members at the meetings."

Officers and committees will be selected shortly, and the final number of club members will determine the frequency and format of meetings.