Low Voter Turnout Predicted

'Not a Heated Context

By Mary F. Cliff

'I'in Tuesday's penctal-election will likely be below mental level. Cambridge city connecitos predicted yesterday cecomes of comfortable leads enjoyed by many Demascratic candidates and the to the unusually lough conditions in the Septenther primary.

Conncitor David I Sullivan said he expects turnout next week in reach only 25,000 of the city's 48,000 registered vters. compared with a lumout at 32,000 in 1978.

This election is not a heatest control like the primary Councellor Thomas W.Danechy said.

In the primary, which included i rematch between Edward J.King and further the Michard S.Dukakes, more than million citizens voted across the state. In canbridge 25,000 Democrats--twice us many us in 1980 and 60 percent more than in 1978--went to the pulls.

Sallivan said a low turnout Tuesday may, help Replublican camlulates slightly, but prudubly will not be it devisive lactor. "The front runers will win but this will reduce their Margin," he said.

Interest Tuesday's elections below across the state, Sallivan said, He added that in cambridge many people consider themselves to be citizens of the world, and are not interested in more side elections."

Cambridge Election commisioner Cindy Schen said voter upathy here may stem from the city', academic components. Students tend to be more concerned with lederal electionsthan with state and local comesis, she said.

Christina spaulding, President of the Dmanstratic Club al Harvard, prodicted that the turnout to the city will be how because "there are not redly close races."

spaulding said the club plans to moke telephone calss moday and distribute paphlets us campus to remaind students to vote. "It's very easy for students for love touch with the outside world ." she said.

A spokeman for the Cambridge Dukakis election committee said compaign workers have encountered quietness across the city.

"The turn-out for the primary was so incrodible that people feel the battless already over," Corner school committee member Atice Wolf said.