Soc Anal 10 Tops Enrollment; Gen Ed 105 Rises to Second

For the third time in the past four years, more than one thousand students--more than half of them freshmen--crowded into Sanders Theater, making Social Analysis 10, Principles of Economics, the largest course this fall Enrollment in General Education 105. "The Literature of Social Reflection," and Moral Reasoning 11. "Types of Ethical theory," jumped dramatically this term while Applied Science 10. "Automatic Computing," and Applied Science II, "Computers, Algorithms, and Programs," demonstrated the growing popularity of computers.

The continuing popularity of Social Analysis 10 "reflects people's concerns with economics problems today." Otto Eckstein. Warburg Professor of Economic said yesterday "When times get bad the enrollment is higher," he said.

In addition to the course's "elaborate investment in teaching materials" including the special readings workbook--Eckstein attributes the course's popularity to "a very good collection of section leaders who have a very good rapport with the students."

Relaxing enrollment restrictions for the first time this year. Gen Ed 105 rose from number ten last year to number two, attracting 522 students.

Noting that over 40 percent of the students are seniors. Professor Robert Coles said the upper class contingent were not gut-seekers but sour searchers. "The reading matter deals with ethical and moral issues that people deal with after college," he said.

Moral Reasoning 11's jump to third place may have been boosted by the absence of Moral Reasoning 22. "Justice," which was the sixth most popular course last year, the course's professor Roderick Fifth said yesterday. "It may be that there is relatively little competition from other Moral Reasoning courses this term," he added.

Professor Greg Anderson of Math lawhose enrollment remained almost unchanged at 360, said his course remains popular every year because, "everyone has to take calculus" Anderson said the course is required for most science majors, and "We hope it is enjoyable, yet we are not trying to make it fun, we are trying to make it good."

Rodney Person, who teaches Economics 1500. "Financial Accounting," said of his class yesterday. "It is one of the most useful courses at Harvard it is business oriented, and most people want to know something about business before they get out of college."

Chem 5a, "Principles of Chemistry," usually a top ten regular, failed to make the list this year, but Professor Ray Gordon looked at this drop as a positive one. "We have an increase of students going into the more advanced courses, which shows a better high school preparation," he said.