Applications for Council Grants Available to Student Groups

By Thomas H. Howlett

The Undergraduate Council will today make grant applications available to campus organizations, the first money offers disburse by a Harvard student government.

The council, which is the first funded student government in Harvard's history, plans this term to disburse no more than one-third of the $30,000 set aside for grants in its $58,000 budget. The budget was collected from a voluntary $10 student term bill fee.

The grant applications, available in the University Hall office of Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, sets no ceiling for requests and requires only that applicants uphold a policy of non-discrimination:

Council members said yesterday that the government hopes to receive funding requests from a wide range of student organizations, including those with a political orientation.

"There was a definite notion that we did not want to appear rigid and unflexible," said Sesha Pratap '84, chairman of the council's communications and finance committee. The finance panel will make non-binding funding recommendations to the full council.

Groups will have to provide a detailed summary of how they would use a grant, in addition to supplying a general financial statement. The communications and finance committee will assess each application separately, and all recommended grants require approval from the full council.

First-term grant applications are due by December 10, but grants will be awarded on a rolling basis. Second semester requests must be submitted by February 4.

Some members of the council particularly aspirants for the government's chairmanship--had expressed concern that the disbursement of funds would become highly controversial if political groups were given money.

But Pratap and others said yesterday that all campus organizations, including political ones, will be encouraged to apply. New groups and those which are suffering financial problems should also seek funds. Pratep said.

"We're looking for an initial set of grants that shows that the council is interested in funding a broad variety of projects that can benefit the University in a broad variety of ways," said Council Chairman Michael G. Colantuono '83.