An Unsung Hero

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In the same spirit which brought about the recognition of Mike Corbat's '83 accomplishments, we feel it necessary to expound on the virtues of another student who may not be as well-known as he should be.

All the lady tutors at Winthrop House have crushes on sophomore Steve Premed. The woman who signs study cards winks knowingly as Steve finalizes his challenging schedule. You see, Steve is a 750V, 800M, 3.97 GPA dear.

Steve--an honors biochemistry concentrator--has already been recruited by six major medical schools. The reason for their interest? A stellar performance on the first Chemistry 20s hourly without the loss of his good-natured, friendly personality. For example, Steve conducts review sessions in his room before exams and loves to help a confused classmate finish a tough problem set. Steve remarks, "I like to see high means, with everyone in the class doing well. The satisfaction of a perfect score disappears when I feel others fail to understand the material."

When asked about his success on the hourly Steve said. "I did poorly on the first three-quarters of the test, but I managed to solve twenty-one points of credit in the last seven minutes." Steve could not be reached for comment on the most recent test, where questionable grading may have marred an otherwise brilliant showing.

"What concerns me," Steve added, "is the fact that Harvard seems to rally itself around athletics but not academics. You'll see over 35,000 people at the Yale game this Saturday, but rarely do you get over 400 at a good chemistry lecture."

Steve Premed '85 and Mike Corbat '83, both outstanding members of the Harvard community, deserve recognition. We hope this letter has helped further publicize those who achieve without the glory. Jon B. Rubin '85   James M. Jampel '85