Mike Granger

Sorting Things Out After Penn

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

After Dave Shulman's 27-yard field goal gave Penn its 23-21 win over Harvard last week. Mike Granger walked off the field-- quickly and quietly Head down, helmet on, the senior fullback entered the locker room and just sat.

"I didn't want to see any celebration," he would say several days after the initial sting had worn off "I was the first one in the locker room I just sat down and didn't do anything for a long time."

It was Granger who had given Harvard its apparent game-winning touchdown on a three-yard scamper; just a minute and a half before Shulman split the uprights.

Granger recalls what happened: "We were down 20-14, with just over a minute-and-a- half to go. It was fourth and goal from the three and we needed to score on that play. [Harvard quarterback Donnie Allard] called an option right to the short side of the field. All I could think about was catching the pitch."

"We'd been having trouble with the pitch all day," he continues. "I kept telling myself to just catch the ball. When we lined up and started running right. I was expecting five guys to be there to kill me. It all happened so quickly. I got the pitch, got around the corner and no one was there. It was the greatest feeling in the world."

"We were sky high after that. I was sure we were going to win, even while we stood on the sideline and they were moving down the field. When they missed that first field goal, I ran on the field and just hugged the first guy I saw. I don't even know who it was. It was just like a dream come true."

"And then, all of a sudden, I found myself walking off the field," he says.

"It was probably the biggest shift of emotion in such a short period of time I've ever experienced," he adds.

But by Monday, the Marion, Ohio native had put the game behind him, and was back on the practice field, assuming his customary position as a quiet leader. "I realized there was nothing we could do," he admits. "We just had to get back to business and start preparing for Yale."

It is just that business-like attitude that has impressed his teammates and coaches. "We're extremely pleased with everything Mike's done," said Larry Gleuck, who as offensive backs coach has watched Granger's development. "Mike's a quiet person but he's certainly one of the team leaders. He's not a hollered or a screamer, he just goes out and performs, and leads the team by his example."

It's been that way for most of Granger's football career. At Marion Pleasant High, where he dazzled crowds with his basketball and track ability, as well as his football prowess, he was a "man of few words but much ability," recalls coach Don Kay.

As a junior, and then again while he was captain as a senior, Granger played both ways, wreaking havoc on opposing gridders. From his tailback position, he often left defensive backs confused with his slashing running style, while from his linebacking spot he punished the opposition, remembers Kay.

"He was a fine, outstanding guy who did his best in whatever he did," Kay adds. "People certainly looked up to him as a leader, but that's just the type of kid he was. You always remember a person like Mike."

Recruited by Harvard, Yale and several Division III Ohio schools, Granger found Harvard's offer of acceptance too good to turn down. "Probably the main person who got me interested in Harvard was my brother, Matt, who graduated in 1979. I thought it would offer me a lot of chances and it's been everything I expected," he says.

Harvard was probably the farthest thing from his mind when he took up football in the seventh grade, only because he thought it was "the thing to do." "I had dreams of going on to play big-time ball at Ohio State," he says. "But even if it wasn't Ohio State, I always thought I'd go on to play college ball."

But when he eventually made his way from Marion to Cambridge, Granger had visions of leaving his mark on Harvard football. His gridiron experiences in his first three years, though, left him frustrated. In his first year he saw action in most of the freshman squad's games, with the highlight coming in the season finale win over Yale.

In that game, he opened the scoring with a 12-yard TD run, paying the way for the Crimson's 22-16 victory.

As a sophomore, though, he saw only spot duty as the back-up to Jim Callinan. And last year, he spent the season on the bench watching Callinan become the only Harvard back to rush for more than 1,000 yards.

"Two years ago I had a taste of what it was like to play, and then to go through last year with hardly any playing time was really frustrating," he says.

But this season, Granger has stepped up to fill Callinan's position and the results have pleased both him and his coaches.

"I'm certainly happy with what's happened," says the fullback, who has scored three touchdowns and picked up 386 yards on 98 carries for a 39 average. "It's been a unique year; I've been playing a lot and our team's become really close. I'd say we're probably closer than any team since I've been here, and that's made it really special."

"He's had a good year," agrees Gleuck. "He's our leading rusher, he's developed into a fine pass receiver and he's become one of the top backs in the Ivy League."

During his first three years in a Crimson jersey, however, Granger says he spent a lot of time wondering why he played. "Even at the beginning of this season, I kept asking myself if it's been worth it," says the Economics major.

"I've spent a lot of time in football and I've given up a lot of other things in order to play. I couldn't figure our what satisfaction I was getting from it. But now, I've realized that I do love playing ball, just because the guys are great and it's a fabulous feeling when you're out there in front of everyone and you're able to help the team," he says.

Granger anticipates helping his team for the final time when he lines up against Yale Saturday. "I think every athlete dreams of scoring on the last play of the game or of breaking the long touchdown run," he explains. "Of course, I'd love to do that, but as long as I contribute to the team I'll be happy."

He also says that the incentive in The Game will be more than just Yale. "In the first place, I always wondered what made Yale so unique. The big thing for me will be that it's the last game I will ever play. That's all I need."