Democrats May Sweep Lesser Races

By John D. Solomon

What if Massachusetts threw four parties and no one came and even worse no one really cared.

That situation characterizes this year's races for so-called "lesser constitutional" state offices. The contestants have been plodding along without most voters knowing who is running--let alone what duties the candidates are vying for

Four practically unknown Republican nominees in races for Attorney General Secretary of State. State Treasurer and State Auditor face Democratic incumbents who have both some name recognition and affiliation with a party that counts a majority of eligible Massachusetts voters as its members. "There is not much of a chance that a Republic will win one of those four offices" one GOP candidate commented recently.

State Auditor is the only position that could likely be captured by a Republican today Michael S. Robertson '57 a Falmouth businessman who ran unsuccessfully against Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54 in 1976 is facing John J Finnegan, who was appointed in 1981 after 17-year Auditor Thaddeus Buczko received a judicial appointment.

"Right now I would say that Buczko is the frontrunner," quipped Barbara Frappier Robertson's campaign manager She added that voters may simply go "knee jerk down the Democratic ticket without examining the candidates."

Robert Creamer, campaign manager for Finnegan, said he thinks the race is close but sees his candidate coming out on top. He added that his boss had done a "fine job" in his major responsibly to oversee all $7 billion in state expenditures.

In battle for Attorney General, Francis X Bellotti, who has been the state's top law officer since 1975, will undoubtedly defeat attorney Richard L. Wainwright. Wainwright, who has been outspent by over 60 percent, conceded, "It does not look great." A law-and-order conservative, Wainwright volunteered to be the nominee when the Republican Convention could not find a candidate.

Bellotti's polls have the incumbent enjoying a healthy lead, 68 percent to 10 percent. Bellotti campaign manager Dan Davenport said, "We're going to win but we would like to break the state record of 74.9 percent."

In the fight for Secretary of State, the incumbent Michael J. Connolly, is facing a spirited if not threatening challenge from Jody Dow, a registered nurse from Brook line in her first try at elective office Paul Moran. Dow's campaign manager, said that Connolly has been "ineffective and inefficient" in office.

Richard Shibley `81, Connolly's campaign manager, predicted that Connolly would win a second term by "at least 20 percent." The Secretary of State in Massachusetts chief record keeper with responsibilities for overseeing voting.

In the State Treasure's race, Robert Q Crane is vying against Barnstable County Treasurer Mary LeClair LeClair is hopeful, but she said, "I wish I had more time."

Crane, who has raised about $100,000 is confident that he will win along with the other three Democrats. He is looking for his fifth full term as the State's top accountant.