K-School Blacks Ask For Changes

By John D. Solomon

A Black student group at the Kennedy School of Government will next week ask the K-School to increase the number of Black students and faculty at the School.

A proposal from the KSG Black Caucus will ask the K-School to add special programs for minority student candidates and include at least one Black on the admissions committee for pre-career students, Caucus chairman Paul Godley said yesterday. The School should intensify its searches for Black faculty and maintain a full-time minority admissions recruiter, the plan also states.

Twelve of the 169 K-School "pre career" students are Black and there is only one Black faculty member.

"These suggestions seem constructive and should help us devise a more effective system of recruiting." Associate Dean Ira A. Jackson '70 said yesterday of the proposal, adding. "We look forward to meeting with the Caucus. The School may consider sponsoring special information days for minority candidates."

Jackson added, however, that he would be in a better position to evaluate the proposal when he receives the complete details of the plan next week.

Jackson said that the K-School is actively looking for Black faculty but often "the pool is thin or the potential candidates find other jobs." Last year, a Black professor was offered a joint tenured position, but refused it, Jackson noted.

Godley acknowledged that the K-School made significant recruiting progress in the recent years and does actively seek both Black students and faculty. But he said the school must make a more concerted effort and added. "We would like to proud them a little."

Two years ago a Black Caucus proposal led to the hiring of a minority recruiter. Thomas Sellers, who has since moved to Assistant Director of the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program. His replacement will be named soon but Godley feels that due to a shortage of staff in the admissions office, that person will not be able to work full-time on minority recruitment.

The school plans to hire a new admissions officer next month, K-School officials said. But they refused to comment on the responsibilities of the new officer.

Catch-22

While the lack of Black students and faculty "does not make the Kennedy School a hostile atmosphere, it does not make it a welcome atmosphere for Black," Godley said. The result, he added, is that fewer Blacks will come to the School. The K-School must bend over backward to avoid this "Catch-22" situation, he added.

Godley said he is optimistic that the Administration will accept the Black Caucus proposals. "I really believe the Kennedy School wants to improve their recruiting and is willing to overcome the obstacles to do it," he said.