Spikers Beat UConn Despite Hesitation; Prepare For Weekend Ivy Tourney

By Carla D. Williams

There's only one question left for the women's volleyball to answer Do they want to win? Yesterday against the Huskies of UConn the spikers temporarily responded yes with a 3-2 win. But throughout the five-set contest, the Crimson seemed reluctant to give a decisive answer At several crucial points, the spiker seemed to falter and lose momentum, letting UConn regain the advantage Consequently, a match that the Crimson looked strong enough to win in four sets dragged out to five.

The Huskies quick passing and takes kept the Crimson on the defense and three points behind in the first set, as players on the team barked and screamed encouragement. The Crimson finally tied the score, 10-10, but then seemed to lose interest. UConn spiked and blocked to score five more and win, 15-10.

The spikers took the next two sets, and it seemed that they would go for three straight wins Though UConn could boast of at least seven power hitters, the Crimson's big guns were on target. All-Ivy setter Margaret Cheng and freshman hitting sensation Anna Collins blocked hard shots at the net as well as they have in previous matches Ellen Schreiber also sent several mean cross-court spikes which left Huskies sliding all over the floor.

The Crimson attack was quicker than usual, matching the pace the Huskies set, as yesterday's practice on lowering passes paid off.

UConn threatened to win during both sets, but the Crimson confidently held the Huskies off, 15-12, 15-9.

And though UConn assistant Coach Avron Abraham rotated his power hitters constantly--with 5'11" Carole Henderson slamming passes down Crimson throats--Crimson spikers responded with tough defense.

When they won the third set, it seemed as sure a sign of victory as striking out the last batter in the top of the ninth But UConn came back again as the spikers slacked off. The Huskies took the next set, 15-9, and forced the match to a fifth deciding set.

The lead seesawed back and forth until the Crimson, trailing 6-8, snapped into action. Between then and the game's end, the Huskies continued to scream and tried to irk the Crimson towards defeat, but the spikers stayed tough.

"I think we played extremely well." Crimson Coach Karyn Altman said after the game. "We were mature enough to stay tough under their obnoxious tactics, and it all worked against them in the end."

"If we could have returned about twenty more of their serves we might have been able to win." UConn's Abraham noted after the game

Yesterday's win over UConn proves that the spikers can win if they want to badly enough They'll need to want it this weekend at Princeton in the Ivy tournament. Since the Crimson has only played and lost to Brown and UPenn, there's no telling how it will do against the rest of the Ivies.