Super Vehicle

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

ANN ARBOR, Mich.--University of Michigan students have constructed a light-weight "Super Mileage Vehicle," with which they hope to break the world's record for automobile mileage of 1750 miles per gallon, The Chronicle of Higher Education said this week.

The low-slung, three-wheeled vehicle, which has room for just one person, could get from 1800 to 2000 miles per gallon, according to its builders.

Engineering students at the university constructed the aluminum frame and mechanical components, while art students in an industrial design program designed the aerodynamic plastic shell that covers the vehicle.

The students hope to make soon their first competitive test at the Eaton Proving Grounds in Marshall, Mich.; the current course record there is held by a vehicle built at the University of Saskatchewan, which went the equivalent of 1084-miles on a gallon of high-octane fuel.

Go, Wolverines

Next summer, the U of M Students hope to break the world's record on the track in England where it was set by a British team.