Council Asks New Lighting on Common

Stating that lighting in the Cambridge Common is "now completely inadequate and dangerous for citizens," the Cambridge City Council last night requested the city manager to have the system repaired "immediately."

City Manager Robert W. Healy told the nine-member body that "there are a variety of problems that have to do with the underground system of sprinklers and lighting" in the Common. He added that the repairs in the public park would be "a priority" after city electricians complete a project at Rindge and Latin High School later this week.

Workers repairing sprinklers in the Common over the summer accidentally cut a power cable to the lights. Nicholas Fernandez, the city's assistant electrician, said last week that the system could be fixed in two weeks once work begins.

Calling the lack of lighting "an emergency," Councilor Francis H. Duehay '55 said that he found the Common "completely dark" on a recent inspection. "You would not want your loved ones--your wife or your daughter--to walk across there at five at night," he added. "People have to walk through there to go home after work."

At the suggestion of Councilor Thomas W. Danehy, Healy said he would investigate the possibility of stringing temporary lights across the park until repairs are completed.

Although the lights have not functioned for several months, Cambridge and University police officials said last week there has not been a significant increase of crimes in the Common--commonly identified as one of the most dangerous areas bordering Harvard property.

Duehay said that some of the damage to the lighting may have been done by city vehicles, which he stated frequently drive through the park recklessly.