Yale to Replace U.S. Aid Lost to Non-Registrants

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

NEW HAVEN, Conn.--Yale will provide additional financial aid to those students who lose federal money because they did not register for the draft. University President A Bartlett Giamatti announced last month. The Yale Daily News reported

In September, President Reagan signed into law a bill denying federal education and, such as Pell Grants and Guaranteed Student Loans, to any man who does not prove that he has registered for the draft. The law will take effect in July.

Gramatti stressed that the university's decision to offer and to such students is an expression of financial and principle.

Gramatti added that he objected to the law's combination of the two issues the draft and student and "Congress has linked two issues I can separate.

Principles

"At this me it is not clear what will be expected of the university in the implementation of the new law but we are working to ensure that the regulations do not infringe upon the basic principles of the institution stated are lease issued by university leaders.

Yale students who do not register will be allowed to borrow money from the university under a provision currently used for other students, such as foreigners, who are not eligible for federal aid.

These loans, however, would not be subsidized, and would therefore be issued at higher interest rate than the federal loans. Giamatti said Yale will replace completely any money lost from Pell Grants, he added.

University estimates indicate that the cost of taking these loans in heu of the federal money could cost a student about $3000 to $4000 over four years.

Regulations specifying universities roles in verifying whether students have registered have not been drawn up but Giamatti said the school would comply with them.

He said the aid policy here no relation to any stand the university might have on the law itself. "I am not going to urge people to break the law, I am not going to urge the university to break the law."

Student members of the Campaign against Militarism and the Draft and they were pleased with the university's statement.