Aquawomen Submerge Huskies, 80-51; Building Up Momentum for Yale Meet

By Rebecca J. Joseph

After the Harvard women's swim team held its regular early practice yesterday morning, they continued their practice last night exhibiting superior talents while racing to a 80-51 submerging of the University of Connecticut Huskies in Storrs. Conn.

In preparation for this weekend's showdown at Yale, the Crimson mixed up its ordinary lineup in a last chance "to ease up the intensity" before Yale next weekend, and the Ivies the weekend after, said coach Vicki Hays.

Snap the Jinx

"We haven't beat Yale in the past seven years," Hays added. "The team had the support and talent two years ago but we just missed the opportunity to beat them. I have confidence in this squad and feel it can beat the Elis at their own pool."

If the aqauwomen are going to beat Yale, they'll need to continue the dominance they displayed in diving last night. The squad swept the one-meter competition and placed first and second in the three-meter event as freshman Jennifer Goldberg walked away with the laurels from both the high and low board competitions. Goldberg captured the pool record held by Crimson co-captain Pam Stone, who set it two years ago. Teammates Cathy Josman and Stone, the second and third finishers, ended up shattering the old record as well.

Other solid performances contributed to the Crimson's lopsided victory. Freshman Mary Remtoumis, despite recovering from a shoulder injury, won both the 100- (1:04.5) and 200-yd. (2:17.9) backstroke.

Another freshman, Cary Mazzone, led the Crimson sweep of the 1000 freestyle (10:50.2), also capturing the 200 butterfly and 200 freestyle (an unofficial swim).

Musical Chairs

After the first relay, individual events, and diving. Harvard held a commanding lead of 44-17 and the Crimson's coaches reshuffled their lineup to enter standouts in off-events.

Shelby Calvert qualified for the Eastern championships to be held at Harvard in early March by placing second in the 200 butterfly (2:13.8). She won the 100 butterfly in an Eastern qualifying time of 1:01.65 as well, but the time was disqualified because of a lane mixup.

Debbie Zimic and Jeanne Floyd, coming off of superior performances in last Saturday's meet against Princeton cooled down a bit. Zimic winning the 400 IM (5:00.1) and Floyd only placing in the 200 butterfly, which, in all fairness, is not her forte.

Despite the shifting of their lineup, the aquawomen cruised to their 29-point victory, in the process psyching themselves up for their contest with Yale this Saturday where, needless to say, all the swimmers will be swimming in their best events.