Model United Nations Delegates Meet-Today in Science Center

By Dora Y. Mao

While Ronald Reagan, Alexander Haig and Jean Kirkpatrick deal with the problems of the world is New York or Washington more than 1000 college students form throughout the United States will imitate them and their colleagues from other nations this afternoon at the Science Center as part of the four-day Harvard National Model United Nations.

Under the Direction of Nancy J. Hoffmeier '82 Secretary General for the Model U.N. the participants will act as delegates from and will debate international issues and then formulate resolutions on them.

Approximately 100 Harvard students are participating in the conference, either as administrators of delegates. Harvard's Model United Nations, held annually, is the second largest in the nations hopped only by the National Model United Nations which takes place in New York City each April which draws 1300-1400 participants. Delegations from as far away as Berkeley, California and East Texas are standing the Harvard conference.

"The Model United Nations educates college students about the realities of international relations," said Don A. Hernandez'83, an organizer of the event. "By simulating the negotiation process students can see what obstacles diplomats face he paid.

U.N. Participants are staying at the Sheraton Hotel in Boston, where opening ceremonies were held yesterday evening and where meetings will be held Sunday and Monday.

Although the students seem to take themselves very seriously, a spokesman for the Sheraton said "it's just one big party like a dorm after finals."

The sponsors of the conference, Harvard's International Relations Council, will profit $23,000 from this event, Larry A. Klane, '82, business manager for the program said. The profits will be used to pay for publications of the International Review and to fund a speaker series.