Tigers Maul Crimson, 67-43; Loss Drops Record to 2-17

Weekend Roundup

By Jon Losos

Ho-Hum

It was the same old story, the same old song-and-dance. A mediocre Princeton women's basketball team rolled into the IAB Saturday evening, hoping to improve its lackluster 7-11 mark. Harvard, hospitable as ever, put up little resistance, as the Tigers handed them their 17th loss in 19 games this season, 67-43.

For two minutes, the Crimson toyed with the idea of making the game competitive, holding their feline foes to a 5-3 lead. But from that point on, the Princeton lead steadily increased, to nine points midway through the half and as much as 14 near the end of the first stanza.

The Crimson had one brief moment of glory in the last two minutes before intermission. Andy Mainelli (team high 11 points) pumped in two baskets and a free throw, and the Harvard defense shut down the Princeton attack, spurring a comeback of sorts, closing the gap to 31-23 at the half.

But it wasn't to be. The Tigers pounced quickly, expanding their lead to 15 just five minutes into the second half, and never looked back. Led by 5-ft. 10-in. sophomore Tigress Katie Delhagen's 20 second-half points (28 on the night). Princeton dominated all aspects of the game, scoring almost at will.

Following tradition, lack of defense and rebounding did the hoopsters in.

And the Tiger's quickness--especially that of Delhagen--was also responsible for the Crimson's woes. Throughout the second half. Princeton players were able to slip behind the defense underneath the basket for easy two-pointers while the Harvard team looked on helplessly. "Quickness underneath hurt us," coach Carol Kleinfelder said.