Ministry Opens Headquarters In Mem Church

By Naomi L. Pierce

The Harvard-Radcliffe United Ministry opened new offices at Memorial Church yesterday marking the first time the organization has had office space at Harvard.

Twenty-three members of the United Ministry--a group of representatives from several religions--will share the offices, which were built last summer in the basement of Appleton Chapel and include a conference room and a daycare center, Sally Adams, administrative assistant for the chapter said yesterday.

President Bok spoke at an opening ceremony yesterday morning, saying that the offices are part of a cooperative movement between the University and the United Ministry.

United Ministry chaplains will now be more available to the Harvard community and better able to coordinate religious activities, Cheryl H. Keen, the Quaker representative in the Ministry, said yesterday.

"We used to meet once a week, and that was the only time we saw each other," Keen said, adding they would now meet more regularly Before the Memorial Church offices, the Ministry had no central office.

After selling in the Ministry plans to develop a number of new programs dealing with matters of social justice and public policy officials announced yesterday. The Rev Larry Hill said he is planning a conference for early May on religion and anti-nuclear activism.

The United Ministry is a group of religious leaders in the Harvard community who in addition to their religious duties, sponsor counseling speech forums and cultural centers.