Six Win Marshall Scholarships To Study in England Next Year

Six Harvard students have won Marshall scholarships, which allow them to study for two years at one of five British universities, the British consulate in Boston announced this week.

The British government awards 30 scholarships each year to American college seniors or graduate students on the basis of "distinction of intellect and character" and "potential to contribute to society." About 1000 students a year apply for the scholarships, Barbara Eachus, vice-consul at the British consulate said yesterday.

The scholarships carry an award of 8000 British pounds, or about $14,000 for tuition maintenance and travel expenses and are named after U.S. general George C. Marshall in honor of the help he gave to European nations after World War II.

Anne Harrington '82 one of the scholarship winners, will study Human Sciences at Oxford for the next two years. Winning the scholarship was "a great thrill and shock," she said yesterday. She is looking forward to traveling around Europe with part of the award money.

"It's the thought of really living in a country with cultural differences that's exciting said Sandy Feng '82, another winner. Feng, who will study molecular biology at the Medical Research Lab near Cambridge University, said she applied for the scholarship partly because she wanted a transition between college and medical school.

Other winners from Harvard were Edward J. Davis '82 Seth Lloyd '82 Scott P. Weeley '82 and Theodore Tsomides '82.