Icewomen Own 'Pot After Topping B.U.

By Jim Silver

The Harvard women's hockey learn won its first Beanpot last night.

Freshman center Liz Ward scored two goals in the third period, as the Crimson overcame a tenacious Boston University squad on the Terriers' home ice by a 2-1 count After two periods of scoreless hockey, Ward put an end to Terrier netminder Lisa Whitcomb's bid for her fourth straight beanpot shoutout.

Ward's first tally came 5 09 into the stanza when Dianne Hurley put a tough wrist shot on net. Whitcomb stopped the original shot and linemate Vicki Palmer's rebound attempt but Ward rushed into the crease to lift the discover the sprawling Whitcomb.

Just 62 seconds later, the Terriers struck back as their captain. Deb Gautreau, look the puck from her own blue line stated deep into the Crimson zone, and beat Harvard goalic Cheryl Talc from a near-impossible angle.

But with 5 21 showing on the clock, Terrier blueliner Nancy Mike was sent to the penalty box for hauling down Hurley as she was about to skate in alone on Whitcomb Eleven seconds into the ensuing power play. Hurley passed to Ward from behind the net, and the Yardling banged it home.

The Terriers made the Crimson work hard for its win pulling the goalie and gaining a power play in the final minute But after sevral close calls. Hurley sent the puck away with just ten second left icing the contest for Harvard.

Not so Easy

The most hard-fought--and exciting--of the wins have generally come against teams which, like the Terriers, have been able to come close to countering Harvard's fast skating and sharp passing. For most of the contest last night. B.U. played an effective tightchecking and sometimes chippy game which, with the aid of Whitcomb's flawless goaltending, kept the Crimson off the board. The Terriers' tactics constantly frustrated Harvard's attempts to see up the puck and get clear shots on net.

Showdown

But in the final stanza, held scoreless themselves by a very effective corps of Crimson blueliners, the Terriers let the pace of the game pick up as they pressed for a goal. They came very close a number of times both he fore and after Gautreau's successful effort. A minute before Ward's first goal what seemed a certain B.U. score was nullified by a fast whistle. And twice in the last ten minutes. Terrier shots beat Tate--who was chosen Beanpot MVP--and hit goalposts.

Can't Keep Her Away

The quicker pace played more into the Crimson's hands than the Terriers' though and it was Harvard that ultimately took the coveted 'Pot for a state around Walter Brown Arena.

THE NOTEBOOK Congratulations are in order for Crimson netminder Cheryl Tate for her outstanding performance last night, nabbing the limelight from B.U.'s standout goalie Kudos are also appropriate for the stalwart Harvard fans who out cheered the Terrier section throughout the contest.