UMass Protestors

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

HOLYOKE, Mass.--Police arrested 45 people, including 20 University of Massachusetts at Amherst students for trespassing after notice" and disorderly conduct last week during a protest sit-in-art U.S. Representative Silvio Conte's office in Holyoke.

The group calling itself the February 11th Coalition staged the protest to pressure Conte (R-Pittsfield) into nothing against an additional $55 million in aid to the El Salvadoran government as requested by the Reagan Administration said Sarah Kemble a member of the coalition.

Members of the Northampton Committee on El Salvador, the Western Massachusetts Latin American Solidarity Committee and representative of UMass's Radical Student Union the People's Gay Alliance and Students Against Militarism, along with clergymen and businessmen, were at the sot-in the Massachusetts, Daily Collegian, UMass's campus newspaper reported last week.

The arrests were conducted in an "orderly manner" and the majority were released on personal recognizance with no but charged, said Holyoke Police Officer John Craven. A few of those arrested chose to stay overnight rather than pay the $15 release fee charged in cover processing costs. Craven added. Arrangement will be on February 25.