Demonstrators Protest Liddy Before Lecture at Brandeis

By Lavea Bracman, Special to the Crimson

WALTHAM--As 200 demonstrators noisily marched and chanted slogans like "put the Lid on Liddy," Watergate burglar G. Gordon Liddy last night denounced the "illusions", under which he said most American people live.

Speaking to a crowd of more than 800 at Brandies University student center. Liddy described Americans as "adolescents" who must grow up and face the reality of Russian domination of the world.

Because the world is like a "very had neighborhood at 3 o'clock in the morning," the United States must continue to arm itself so that it does not become a "defenseless old lady." Liddy said in his 90-minute speech.

Lorin Reisner, a Brandeis student who called himself the "protest coordinator," said the demonstrators objected to Liddy's marketing his "socially destructive and educationally valueless rhetoric" to the American people.

A Brandeis student organization paid Liddy $3,000 for his appearance last night Admission to the sold-out lecture was $3,50.

Alice Solomon, chairman of the organization that brought Liddy's to Brandeis said the content of Liddy's speech has educational and informative value. The demonstration helped publicity, instead of discouraging people from attending, she added.

Kenny A. Rahtz, Liddy's manager and lecturing agent, yesterday described Liddy as a man who believes in militarism and following the leader. "This is what happened with Watergate. He was given instructions and as captain of the ship, he sank with it." Rahtz said.

Rahtz added that people may disagree with what he says, but still respect him. "If you went to lunch with him, he would charm your pants off," Rahtz said.

The Committee to Stop G. Gordon Liddy, the Brandeis student-faculty coalition that organized the demonstration, distributed leaflets accusing Liddy of espousing Nazi authoritarian ideology. Liddy's daughter, Sally Alexandra, who attended the lecture, called this charge untrue but added. "He liked the idea of the way [the Nazis] attained their power."