Icemen Outpunch Feisty Bruins, 9-6

By Michael Bass

The Harvard hockey team took first place honors in the Nick Fotiu Whose gloves-are-these-anyway Classic with a 9-6 win over Brown last night at Bright Center. Snapping the Crimson's losing streak at seven.

Marred by a bench-clearing brawl just after the first period ended and 25 penalties on the night, the game featured the reawakening of the once potent Harvard of tense. which had hibernated through January with just nine goals in five games.

Harvard's ECAC record now stands at 6-7-1 (6-10-1 overall).

Slippery

It was only fitting that the penalty box's own favorite son. Bruin defenseman Darrell Petite, was the one who started all the fun.

With Brown holding a 2-0 lead, courtesy of breakaway goals by Don Williamson and Pat Manocchia only 25 seconds apart midway through the opening stanza. Petite went off for roughing one of his favorites-at 12.25.

The Harvard power-play, on a sour streak that included an oh-for-six night in Monday's Beanpot loss to Boston University. finally got untracked A Mark Fusco blast from the point past old nemesis Paul McCarthy at 13 28 proved to be the perfect wake up call for the Harvard offense.

Greg Britz flipped the puck through McCarthy to be the game at two just three minutes later. Scott Fusco then slammed home an unassisted goal from 30 feet out at 17 43 and Tony Visone, who had been one of Harvard's most consistent skaters through the losing skein, beat McCarthy with a back-hander to the stick side for his seventh goal at 19;09. Suddenly, the Crimson was heading for the locker room with a 4-2 lead Or were they?

For it was then that, to put it mildly, all hell broke loose.

Just as the buzzer sounded to end period one. Harvard's Alan Litchfield slammed Bruin forward Ron Milardo into the boards. Litchfield headed for his own bench and the locker room-followed, unbeknownst to him by Milardo.

A taunt or two later, and a few clutches aside, and Milardo and Harvard's Shayne Kakulowicz had their gloves off and were going at it pretty good in front of the Harvard bench.

Before you could say Petite, 40 players two coaches and two referees were jumbled together in a mass of flailing arms surrounded by several minor skirmishes.

When the gloves had finally settled and both teams were banished to their respective locked rooms, rink announcer Lloyd Perimeter suffered through a case of writer's cramp trying to get all the penalties down.

Kukulowicz and Milardo were gone with five Majors for fighting and game misconduct's (which included automatic one game suspensions) Bruins Bryan Price and Shaun Doherty. and Harvard's Mike Watson and scott Powers were hit with two-minute minors for roughing. And Litchfield and Bruin defenseman Mike Fallon were each charged with four-minute double minors for slashing That's right--surprise. Surprise--no Petite this time.

From then on. Harvard just coasted in for the win.

THE NOTEBOOK. The stars of the game. as selected by the Cambridge media: Watson. Mark Fusco and Manocchia. Watson had two goals and two assists, as did Fusco, while Manocchia clicked for a hat trick