Grapplers Dump Penn, Boston College; Overall Record Now Sparkles at 12-2

By G. ROBERT Strauss

The Harvard wrestling team moved one step closer to its long-awaited Ivy League title with a 35-12 thrashing of visiting Pennsylvania at the IAB Saturday. This victory, combined with the Crimson's defeat of Princeton Friday--its first triumph over that New Jersey toe in 15 years--set up this weekend's showdowns with Cornell and Columbia on the road. In addition, a 40-4 destruction of Boston College raised the squad's season record to 12-2.

Throughout the season, coach Johnny Lee's squad has presented a balanced attack which Harvard wrestling teams have lacked in recent years. With strength throughout the lineup, the team as a whole has found the secret to winning. Wrestling, however is quite different from most team sports; in this sport of individuals, the whole can only equal the sum of the parts. For Harvard this year, the sum has reached astounding proportions.

Against Penn, the team demonstrated a balanced attack with match victories throughout the lineup--lower, middle and upper weight classes. The Crimson was able to overpower its opponents early and continue to pull away through the duration of the meet. While the upper weight classes have provided great stability to the team's efforts this season, with consistent winners in the top four weight divisions, the lower weight classes have been providing power and points to start off the meets.

After a year off from school, junior co-captain Paul Widerman, starting off each match at 118 lbs., has compiled an awesome record, hoping to share a berth at the National Championships in March. Against Penn, Widerman pinned Chip Davies 4:27 into the match.

After a short period out of action with a knee injury, sophomore Rick Beller returned to the lineup in the 126-lb. weight class. Coach Lee surely breathed a sigh of relief when Beller returned to the lineup, as the sophomore adds stability by winning regularly with a studied aggression. With a series of takedowns and track points, Beller destroyed Penn's Lou Hamer, 14-1.

More of the Same

Fritz Campbell and Andy McNerney combined to abuse some hapless opponents in the next weight classes. McNerney pinned Rick Farrell in 4:26, and Campbell pinned Bill Bender at 1:46 of the first period in the 150-lb. weight class to continue the Harvard roll.

With big wins in the final three matches, including a quick pin by co-captain Jim Phills in the unlimited weight class. Harvard cruised to a satisfying victory.